Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sweet Temptation

I've been a candy connoseiour for as long as I can remember. I remember my Uncle Junebug (yes, Junebugs actually exist) bringing me caramel candies on a regular basis. That led to lemon drops, red hots and my all-time favorite--Hot Tamales. Y'all, they are my weakness! Everyone who knows me closely can attest to that! 

It didn't stop at just candy, it carried over to all sweets--cakes, brownies, etc. I literally could go an entire day eating only sweets. Although I could, it's definitely not beneficial. It reminds me of a scripture--

You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. And even though “I am allowed to do anything,” I must not become a slave to anything. (1 Corinthians 6:12 NLT)

It's true. I admit. I have an addiction to sweets. I became a slave to it. I'm a slave because I allowed something to control me. And although sweets are okay in moderation, it's definitely not okay in large doses. 

What's your addiction? It doesn't have to be something bad. It's anything that you can't control, something that takes your focus off of priorities. Is it social media? Alcohol? Gossip? Money? 

I invite you to give it over to God. It won't be easy. But it will be worth it. I'm on my fifth day without sweets and it has been tough. But God's Grace is sufficient in my weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment